Microbiologists study microscopic organisms like bacteria, viruses, fungi and protozoa to discover cures for diseases, increase growth and nutrition for our food supply, and safeguard the quality of life we enjoy. There are billions of species of microbes on our planet, and many different types of microbiologists that study them:
- Biochemists: Study the chemistry and DNA of living organisms.
- Biotechnologists: Use living organisms to make useful products.
- Environmental Scientists: Develop solutions for environmental problems and how chemistry, biology, and geophysical activity effect the environment.
- Geneticists: Study the science of genes, heredity, and how organisms inherit and transmit genetic information.
- Immunologists: Study the immune system and how our body defends itself against invading microbes.
- Virologists: Study viruses and how they infect our cells.
Microbiology Major Links